Crafting your house on your own can be both meditative therapy and a fun way to put your own touch of creative energy into your space that can transform it into your art space; and Mosaic is by far the perfect art to do so, especially for outdoor spaces; you can use mosaic art for garden decoration and add your own style, charm, and a unique planter to your green space in easy simple ways.
Mosaic art is an ancient form of expression that dates all the way to the 3rd millennium BC, it was considered a fine art for palaces. The Romans popularized mosaics as an art medium on indoor and outdoor walls, floors, ceilings, and in gardens. Nowadays you create this form of art by your own self at your house with very simple tools to brighten your house.
The aesthetic possibilities of Mosaics are endless, you can craft your pieces in a huge variety of materials such as marble, glass, stone, wood tile, new, old, and recycled pieces using different colors and shapes. And the best part is that Mosaic art is for everyone.
We will show you simple ways how you can make your garden more alive and colorful using mosaic art to decorate your garden with the most cost-effective materials.
How To Make Mosaic Art for Your Garden
The idea of making Mosaic art can sound crazy complicated, but in reality, it’s a simple process that can help the maker go to a calm state of creativity of focus with great results.
In general, there are two basic methods to make any Mosaic piece, direct and indirect methods.
The direct method is when you glue your pieces directly onto the base, this is the most commonly used method of making mosaic and easiest for beginners because you can see the entire view of your mosaic from the top. And the indirect method is when you face down on temporary backing and hold the pieces in place with a water-soluble glue paste. Afterward, you transfer the mosaic art to its permanent location.
You can DIY your mosaic art for garden decoration using the method that seems easy for you based on the piece you want to make.
How To Make a Simple Mosaic Art for Your Garden
The materials you will need to make any mosaic piece are readily available and low-cost for the result that you can have. All the tools we will mention are available online or in any supply store.
To make a mosaic piece, you will generally need the following tools:
- Base to glue the mosaic tiles on,
- Materials for decoration: Ceramic, mirror, marble, stone, sea-shells, porcelain, glass, pottery, wood,
- Cutter for cutting your materials: tile cutter, glass cutter,
- Picks or tweezers if the material is delicate,
- The glue, grout, mortar, or plaster to adhere for setting the mosaic piece,
- Old better knife,
- Clean rags and/or sponges to wipe the grout off of the tile surface after applying,
- Cloves and safety glasses are optional,
Once you have all of your supplies ready, then you can start creating your magical art piece.
- The first thing you have to do is to pick your mosaic project idea and have it clear in front of you so you can work easily with a reference.
- Select the materials you want to work with for your art piece. You can use any old material that you would like to recycle as well such as ceramic, smalti, mirror, marble, stone, pebbles, seashells, pottery, china, and wood.
- Get your Base prepared and sketch your design on the base.
- Lay your mosaic pieces one by one over your design using the direct method preferably using picks or tweezers.
- Choose the right adhesive for the materials you’re working with. Apply the adhesive to the mosaic using a butter knife or a brush, and let it set for the time needed.
- Once the adhesive is set, wipe the mosaic tiles with a damp sponge to clear away any extra adhesive material that may have risen to the top to have a clean base for gout.
- Choose your grout and add it as a fine texture to fill in the spaces between your mosaic pieces.
- Spread the grout all over the mosaic using a spatula or a brush based on your base material, and fill in the creases between the tiles. The grout should fill the gaps of the entire piece of your mosaic.
- After the grout is fully dry, wipe away the excess.
- It’s better to use warm water to wipe the mosaic using a clean sponge. Rinse out the sponge as you wipe away grout from the surface of the tiles regularly.
And you should have a clean Mosaic art piece ready for your garden.
Unique Mosaic Ideas for Your Garden
There are plenty of ideas that you can build in your garden, once you start with one mosaic piece you cannot stop, you will always discover new possibilities that can create with little material to change space. We will provide you with 10 simple ideas of mosaic art for garden decoration that will inspire you to make your next mosaic piece.
Mosaic Heart-Shaped Doorstop
Mosaic rock sculpture is a great first mosaic for beginners, you can choose this heart-shaped doorstop as a radiation of love and beauty also it’s a great experience especially if you are not completely comfortable with mosaic working. It’s such an easy piece but nevertheless eye-catching to anyone who visits your home.
Mosaic Bird Bath
This is an amazing mosaic art for garden decoration, it can bring so much color and life to your outdoor space also the possibilities of recreating such pieces can be endless with multiple uses. You can choose to make only the pot without the bottom using different materials to make it an actual piece of art in your garden. By making a bird bath you can attract birds to your garden.
Mosaic Stepping Stones
Stained-glass stepping stone is another wonderful and fun way to get introduced to the mosaic world If you have never made mosaic before. They’re not only simple to craft but also the ending result can be very satisfying and everlasting mosaic art for garden decoration that will transform the look of your entire garden.
Wooden Mosaic Decoration
If you have a garden with trees, some fall wooden pieces, or if you have some leftover of your winter firewood; you can use it in a magical way.
Wood and mosaic create a great contrast that gives an earthy feeling to the space.
Garden Mosaic Mirror
You can create a mosaic mirror in your style to add a touch of your personality and magically enhance your garden. Mosaic mirrors can give your space a cute artistic feeling to your outdoor space with endless choices of colours that you can choose to blend with the rest of your mosaic pieces.
You can choose the size of your mirror and either you want to hang it or put it next to a wall. It doesn’t matter if the mirror is without the frame, with the mosaic you can reframe the mirrors how you like and make mosaic art for garden decoration. Mirrors are a cool way to spice up your garden so don’t hesitate to use them.
Mosaic Mason Jar Luminaries
You can find jars in every house, and in someone how most of the jars are not used creatively. Sometimes they can be around you waiting for a purpose, well mosaic is the answer to that.
A Mason jar can be an excellent mosaic art for garden decoration, it’s a versatile piece both indoors and also outdoors great base for many uses, for example, a mosaic mason jar can be a great candle pot, and vases for flowers.
Mosaic Bird House
You can recycle old broken pieces for this one. Using an old wooden box as a base and style it with broken glass, stone, or any other material available in your house. Tiny birdhouses are so adorable, they give a beautiful feeling to the garden making it nature friendly.
Clay Outdoor Garden Chair
Clay or wooden chair is a must in the garden. With mosaic, you can upgrade your chairs and give them extra life. Mosaic chairs are one of the greatest mosaic arts for garden decoration that can be used daily. You can get outside the box and create unique chairs that represent your style.
When it comes to mosaic chairs, you must be careful with the material you use. Preferably, a soft material that can last for a long time.
Recycled Mosaic Hanging Cups
What a great way to take care of your plants. This mosaic art piece can combine using old materials and cups with your plant gardening. The styling choice is all yours based on how you want to water your plant.
This mosaic idea can be such a sustainable idea to save some water while watering your plants. It’s another amazing mosaic art for garden decoration that is cost-effective in order to bring some bold color and a personal original touch to your yard.
Mosaic Back Yard Fire Pit
This fire pit mosaic will make a decorative and atmospheric addition to your garden, it’s another mosaic art for garden decoration that will add color and beauty to your space while keeping you warm when it gets cold.
Final Thoughts About Mosaic Art
Mosaic is a simple art therapy that can change you from the inside but give you more sense of calmness and focuses while transforming your space into an art gallery. With mosaics, you can create beautiful artwork that is durable since the color pattern can stay the same in all seasons. Mosaic cannot only give a dynamic visual impact but also unique energy.
You can read our previous article from https://www.artmasterclass.com.au/blogs/news/how-do-you-make-simple-mosaic-tiles.